Monday, January 4, 2016

Past Continuous Tense


Past Continuous Tense

S + was/were + v1 + ing +  obj


We usually use this tense about actions that were in progress at a specific time in the past. We also use it in conjunction with the past simple when talking about interruptions (I was doing my homework when the phone rang).

What you usually do late at night, and lead in to the past continuous:
I always go to bed at 11pm. So, last night at 11:30 I was sleeping.

















Write your typical schedule on the board with your usual everyday activities:



7:30 am – breakfast
9 to 12 – classes
12 – lunch
1pm to 5pm – classes
6pm – gym
8pm – dinner
11pm – bedtime

Now, give write examples of what you were doing exactly at a certain time yesterday:
At noon, I was having lunch.
At 1pm, I was giving a class.

Jot down your daily schedules, or what you did yesterday, and then take turns first saying what you were doing at certain time:
I was having breakfast at 7am.

Then, switch schedules with other family member or friend and say what he or she was doing:
Juan was having breakfast at 10 am.

Then, make comparisons:
I was studying. He was playing video games.

Or find similarities:
We were all sleeping at midnight.

Homework (Write & Speak):-
1) 9 complex sentences (3 simple, 3 negative & 3 interrogative)


No comments:

Post a Comment